Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Monkey Bar Blisters

The past week has been kind of surreal. Watching Molly go to Kindergarten is:
amazing,
scary,
hilarious,
exciting,
hesitant,
reminiscent
and very natural

I say natural because her attitude and excitement for school feels so "right". She is loving school. It's as if she's been doing this for years, and it hasn't even been a full week. It takes me back to what I know...teaching Kindergartners. It is making me remember how much I love kids this age... and now I have one of my own! How fun is that? Yesterday they did a Jack Be Nimble activity that I used to do in my classroom! It took me back! I am amazed by what stands out in her brain from the day and what she has to share with me...her sensitivity to kids in her class, her regard for rules/procedures from her classroom and mostly her willingness to talk to me about them. That is the best!!! Her most hilarious story was from Monday when they had their first "toot" in class. (Not her!) She just matter-of-factly shared that some kid tooted in class and that people giggled and she didn't really know what to do. She said her teacher said to say "excuse me" and then went on with the story. Mark and I had a hard time not cracking up, not so much about the gas, but about the fact that this made headline news to Molly. Her story from last night was a little scary, she mentioned, as we got ready for soccer, that some boys on the bus have been kicking the seat and pulling her hair. I wanted to react and take action, but she didn't really seem to want help on this one. She just told us. She wasn't scared...but it was scary as a parent, not to mention infuriating! Mark was really cool and gave her some ideas on what she could try if that happens again. And she moved on, hasn't mentioned it again. We'll see what happens today. I will bite my tongue and wait for her cues. I have to admit I have not even been in her classroom. I am hesitant because I know how much Molly needs to do this on her own. Her teacher seems wonderful and is new to K and to the district. I feel like I need to give her space too. I am so excited for my little girl and for this year in Kindergarten!

Oh yeah, we have our first set of Monkey Bar Blisters and another wiggly tooth. My goodness, who pushed the "fast forward" button on my life?

1 comment:

Mama Voss said...

My heart is full as I read your words. What memories; both past and present. Enjoy this time, for it too goes quickly... as I witness my 3rd grader with different challenges. Wasn't he just in Kindergarten? enjoy... remember... embrace